Collaborative Workshop: Aligning for Better Health in Delaware
October 8, 2015 –
1. What are the priorities?
2. Where are the gaps?
3. What are our common indicators of success?
4. How might we work better together?
- Gain ideas & tools for advancing local healthy eating/active living efforts
- Connect with and learn from peers and other subject matter experts
- Identify priority areas for statewide action
- Generate ideas for deepening our statewide collaboration through DE HEAL
- Gathering is timely for helping DE HEAL and community partners to refine and arrive at priorities for evolving healthy eating and active living efforts
- This workshop is the followup to the June DE HEAL - Healthy Kids DE event and the last statewide meeting hosted by DE HEAL and Nemours in Dover in 2013
- Opportunity to re-engage and identify pathways to collective action
- Ensure participant experience works for everyone attending
- Aim for a high level of interaction
- Balance building local capacity with growing the statewide HEAL movement
8:30 Healthy Noshing & Networking
9:00 Welcome & Introductions
- Opening Remarks –
- Jim Ryan, Chair, DE HEAL/YMCA Delaware
- Fanilda Shaw, Partnership to Improve Community Health (PICH)/Nemours Health & Prevention Services
- City of Wilmington Representative
- Agenda Overview & Who’s With Us – Monte Roulier, Moderator, Community Initiatives, Fort Collins, CO
9:30 Where Are We Now: Combining Data & Experience
- County Health Rankings View of Delaware & Preview of new Delaware Health Survey - Francine Axler/Laurel Jones, Delaware Public Health Institute
- Update on State of the SHIP (State Health Improvement Plan) Update Delaware Public Health representative
- Healthy Eating & Active Living Behavioral Data – Fred Breukelman, Division of Public Health & Roberta Gealt, Associate Scientist, Center for Drug and Health Studies, University of Delaware
10:45 Physical Activity Break
11:00 Working Within & Across Sectors: Panel Dialogue
This panel is to represent the different sectors of Delaware society and to engage in a true dialogue, build off of the data in the morning segment and drill into ideas.
What are the big opportunities related to each respective sector?
What are the keys to deeper cross sector collaboration?
- Public Sector: City, County & State Reps
- Non Profit Sector: Healthcare & Philanthropy Reps
- Private Sector: Leaders of Business in Delaware
12:00 Networking Lunch - Lunch is limited to 100 attendees
1:00 Open Space —Our moderator will facilitate a completely organic exchange of ideas that are of interest to participants…Come with your thoughts and concerns to share.
2:15 Physical Activity Break
2:30 Growing A Statewide Health Movement & Legislative Update
- What are we learning about statewide HEAL efforts across the USA?
- DE Priorities across sectors and coalitions
- Ways to deepen our collaboration
- Expanding the role of our coalition
- Cross sector collaboration at policy level
3:30 Wrap Up & Next Steps
Proposed Exhibits: State Parks Interactive Maps, DNREC Report on new trails, parks and programs, DE-HEAL Worksite Wellness Initiative, Delaware Farm Bureau and DDA New Farmers Markets, Delaware Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, NAMI, HKD, DE Urban Farm & Food Coalition, Delaware Greenways, WILMAPCO, UD IPA maps on food deserts, etc.