These websites provide Dietary Guidelines to Nutrition Information for Children and Adults. Looking for healthy recipes?
USDA: Food and Nutrition Information Center:
- A complete list of FNIC publications can be found at: http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/resourcelists
- This website includes links to USDA guidelines including MyPlate, and Consumer Brochures: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Default.htm
- The Nutrition Facts label and the ingredients list on packages of foods and beverages are useful tools that can help consumers learn about what is in foods and beverages.
- Provides recommended daily intake amount at all calorie levels for each food group.
Released in 2011, the guidelines emphasize three major goals for Americans:
- Balance calories with physical activity to manage weight;
- Consume more of certain foods and nutrients such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fat-free and low-fat dairy products, and seafood; and
- Consume fewer foods with sodium (salt), saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, added sugars, and refined grains.
The Dietary Guidelines have recommendations for these specific diets:
Choose MyPlate.gov— The site includes more information about Choose My Plate: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
The Nutrition Source Healthy Eating Plate and Healthy Eating Pyramid
from the Harvard School of Public Health
In the “What Should I Eat?” section, you’ll find ten key tips for eating right, plus the bottom line recommendations on carbohydrates, protein, fats, fiber, vegetables and fruits, calcium and milk, healthy drinks, lower salt and sodium, alcohol, and vitamins. You can also learn more about a food pyramid and plate that are actually based on the latest science: the Healthy Eating Pyramid, created by the Department of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health, and it’s new companion, the Healthy Eating Plate. Access this information in this website: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/pyramid/
Helpguide.org-Non-profit resource in collaboration with Harvard Health Publications
The site includes tips for Healthy Eating and PLANNING A HEALTHY DIET AND STICKING TO IT. There are 9 tips toward a healthy diet. Click on this link: http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_eating_diet.htm